VMware offer

I've received an e-mail from VMware offering rebates to members of "a
globally registered Linux User Group", which SILUG is.

The regular price for VMware Workstation v4.0 is $299 (download) or $329
(boxed). VM/W is available for both Linuz and Windows XP/2000. Either
can host multiple instances of Linux, Windows, BSD, Novell, DOS, and
several other guest OSs up to the resource limits of your machine. It's
a great way to test new betas. For a limited time, they're offering
rebates of $100 for new buyers. Once you own a license, you can upgrade
to new releases for only $99.

See https://www.vmware.com/linuxuser/linuxuser_login.jsp. If anyone in
SILUG wants to take advantage of this offer, Steve will have to
preregister them (https://www.vmware.com/lugprex/lugPrez_login.jsp). In
return, he can get a free copy.

Obviously VMware is trying to expand its name recognition and customer
base among technically savvy users. It's not an open-source product, but
it's well worth its modest price. I've been a VMware user since v1.0,
and recommend it to anyone who has to support two or more operating
systems.

--Doc