A little help for a newbie...

So I have been trying to get my wireless card to work under Mandrake 9.2. I found a guy on the net that got the same card that I have to work under mdk 9.2. I emailed him and he gave me a set of instructions to follow. Unfortunately, I am not sure I understand the very first instruction. I have been using mandrake for over a year now, but I never really got into the deep stuff of linux, so some things are still above me. Can someone tell what I need to do for his first instruction? Here are the instructions he sent me:

Steps took to make the Linksys WPC55AG NIC work under Linux.

Downloaded and installed the kernel source for my Linux distribution, in this

case Mandrake 9.2. – [How do I install the kernel source? I installed mandrake off of the three CD’s that I downloaded…]

Downloaded, untared, read the README file, and compiled the latest MADWIFI

software according to the documentation, in this case madwifi-20030802.tgz.

I found it in;

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/madwifi/madwifi-20030802.tgz?download.

As root, went to the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ directory, and copied the

ifcfg-eth0 to ifcfg-ath0.

As root I edited the ifcfg-ath0 file with my favorite editor, and made changes

for the file to look like this;

DEVICE=ath0

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

NETMASK=255.255.255.0

ONBOOT=yes

HWADDR=00:0c:41:05:a3:0a

MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no

NEEDHOSTNAME=yes

Basically I changed the device name and the hardware address, and saved the

file.

I restarted the PCMCIA card services by running

# service pcmcia restart

then I ran

# service network restart

Just like magic, I was connected to my wireless router, and was surfing the

web.

Thanks ahead of time for your help…

Ken Keefe