Re: newbie question?

There are serveral, I'll list the free ones first:
	cu - quite a learning curve for the newbie though
	minicom - procomm lookalike (these was also a true port of procomm to
unix I think)
	Term - Not for free terminal emulator.  It was very popular for sco
systems.  The sco emulation was very good

I sure there are other, but this should get you started.

Hope this helps,

John