Re: DNS aliasing

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 08:53, mike808@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
> I have a friend with a dynamic DNS service.
>
> Bascially, she's got a machine, alice.somedomain.com.
>
> I manage the DNS for otherdomain.com.
>
> I want to setup bob.otherdomain.com to always resolve to the same IP as
> alice.somedomain.com so that either name will work.
>
> In particular, http requests should be able to put up a virtual host for either.
> mod_rewrite can be used to send one to the other if this isn't needed.
>
> I don't know jack about zone files (other than *basic* SOA, A, CNAME, and MX
> records).
>
> Thoughts? Examples? How-To? URLs? Googlisms?
>
> Mike/

Hi Mike,

Just a thought here...

Why don't you scratch out a nice little shell/perl script to do a host
name lookup on "alice.somedomain.com" every so often in a cron. (2 hrs?)
and make sure your zone records are setup to reflect the correct IP
address for your domain.

If the zone file needs updated, your script would update the zone file
and then restart bind. (or tinydns) ;)

I don't think that would be too hard for your skills! :)

Keep us posted!

--
Travis Owens <openbook@linuxmds.com>