Re: DNS aliasing

Sounds like you just want to do a CNAME like this in your otherdomain.com
zone file:

bob                     CNAME   alice.somedomain.com.

People's resolvers should then check with the named in charge of somedomain.com
for alice and be sent to wherever it currently resides.  As long as
you're using it for a web site and not for an MX or a nameserver, it should
be fine AFAIK.

You shouldn't need mod_rewrite if you just set up named virtual hosting
on the web server.  Both sites should resolve to the same IP address so
Apache should simply have named virtual hosts on that IP for both sites.