Re: LiteOn DVD burners

	Can't speak to LiteOn, but ...

	Just purchased a Plextor 708A, and have been pretty pleased with
it.  It claims to write 4x DVD+R media at 8x, although haven't been able
to prove that, because we didn't have any 4x media.

	Also got a Sony DVD+/-R +/-RW burner in, no testing yet.

	For Linux, the cdrecord author has a version for burning DVDs,
however it is a bit flaky with the Plextor.  dvd+rw-tools seems rock
solid.

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 01:56:20PM -0500, Gary wrote:
> > Yah, Steve, Kara, do they make a DVD/RW and if so, what is the pricing,
> > approximately... Inquiring minds want to know <g>
>
> OK, so I just did a *really* quick check with one vendor, and it looks
> like what Lite-On is selling at the moment for around $175 does the
> following:
>
>     4X DVD+/-R write
>     2X DVD-RW rewrite
>     2.4x DVD+RW rewrite
>     8x DVD-ROM read
>     24x CD-R write
>     10X CD-RW rewrite
>     32X CD-ROM read
>
> LG has a drive for a bit more money that also does DVD-RAM.
>
> Note that prices are dropping pretty quickly, and I can probably get
> even better prices from a couple of my other vendors.
>
> We haven't sold enough of these super-combo drives to form a solid
> opinion about any one brand, but we haven't had any problems with any
> of the CD-ROM, DVD, CDRW, or DVD/CDRW drives we've bought from
> Lite-On, Samsung, Mitsumi, NEC, and probably a couple of other cheap
> brands I'm forgetting.  We like to stick with Lite-On or Samsung as a
> rule, but one of our vendors gets us really good prices on Mitsumi,
> and I've been known to go with other recognizable brands when I get a
> really good deal.
>
> Steve
> --
> steve@silug.org           | Southern Illinois Linux Users Group
> (618)398-7360             | See web site for meeting details.
> Steven Pritchard          | http://www.silug.org/

Richard H. Fifarek
rfifarek@silug.org