Re: LiteOn DVD burners

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 01:56:20PM -0500, Gary wrote:
> Yah, Steve, Kara, do they make a DVD/RW and if so, what is the pricing,
> approximately... Inquiring minds want to know <g>

OK, so I just did a *really* quick check with one vendor, and it looks
like what Lite-On is selling at the moment for around $175 does the
following:

    4X DVD+/-R write
    2X DVD-RW rewrite
    2.4x DVD+RW rewrite
    8x DVD-ROM read
    24x CD-R write
    10X CD-RW rewrite
    32X CD-ROM read

LG has a drive for a bit more money that also does DVD-RAM.

Note that prices are dropping pretty quickly, and I can probably get
even better prices from a couple of my other vendors.

We haven't sold enough of these super-combo drives to form a solid
opinion about any one brand, but we haven't had any problems with any
of the CD-ROM, DVD, CDRW, or DVD/CDRW drives we've bought from
Lite-On, Samsung, Mitsumi, NEC, and probably a couple of other cheap
brands I'm forgetting.  We like to stick with Lite-On or Samsung as a
rule, but one of our vendors gets us really good prices on Mitsumi,
and I've been known to go with other recognizable brands when I get a
really good deal.