Re: trusted computing initiative

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003, Jonathan wrote:

> Hi:
>
> <begin rant>
>  A friend, who uses Xp, went to www.micorosoft.com and downloaded the patch
> for the Luvsan worm.  When he clicked on the download button, a message
> appeared telling him to turn off his virus software. This he did and
> restarted the download. When the download was done, he had infected his
> computer with the Luvsan (Blaster?) worm. This tells me that the geniuses at
> Microsoft did not even bother to check the validity of the software patches
> they had. Nor did they test the URL for malicious redirects. It's just mind
> boggling that people will pay for this kind of gross incompetence.
> </end rant>

That's probably because his computer was already infected.  I've not had
any system that I've had to run the updates on tell me I have to turn the
antivirus off.  When did he download the patch?  If he waited until now
it's too late.

In addition, if he ran the patch and it said it installed it could still
have the worm.  One of the varients is that it runs thru the patch very
quickly so it looks like it's installed when in fact it is not.

Likewise, how would there be a malicious redirect on Microsoft's server
unless it was broken in to?  The OS is only going to do what it's user
tells it to.  If the user told the OS to run this program, the computer is
going to do it.

At least it's it's been that way.  Granted, all bets are off with M$
products.  Preachin' to the choir is all I gots to say.

It was probably already infected when he went to run the patch.
Trustworthy computing is indeed paying off.

Sean...

--
Believing I had supernatural powers, I slammed into a brick wall.
	--Paul Simon