Re: Gentoo: To mirror or not to mirror?

> On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 12:21:49PM -0600, John Bell wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 11:40, Nate Reindl wrote:
> > > Remember what Steve said?  ``I personally think Gentoo's a joke.''

> In the past I've been able to support a couple hundred Unix boxes
> almost by myself...  What I learned doing that is what makes it
> possible for me to support a large number of clients remotely now.
> BTW, I'm not faulting any of you who run Gentoo.  I'm also not saying
> there aren't nice things about it.  I really wish Red Hat put a small
> fraction as much effort into making a system that's so easy to
> bootstrap on another architecture.  Even Debian hasn't done as well.
>
> Honestly, it seems to me that Gentoo could be a really compelling
> alternative with just a little effort.

I think Steve meant to qualify that statement as referring to large-scale
enterprise deployments.

Perhaps he should have said "I personally think Gentoo doesn't scale well
for administrators with large deployments"

I don't think Gentoo holds itself out as "the" solution for the kind
of environments you deal with Steve, so why hold it to those standards?

Admittedly, the context of your valuation on the merits of distribtions
was lacking from the quote.... :=)

But, for my po' lil K6/200, I'm thinking it's the easiest of the LFS-style
projects.

Mike808/