sound and cardbus stuff

I am the parent of an IBM Thinkpad 600e. I now have questions. Imagine
that.

Redhat 8 went smoothly. The pcmcia cardbus stuff installed fine and I
get a green light on the card. I (We) have attempted to install the
drivers that came with the card (source) that are for the 2.2 kernels.
It isn't playing nice and won't compile. It's rtl8139c so I'm ass u ming
that this shouldn't be a problemo. I'm just stooopid. Help.

Second and only slightly less aggrevating cs4610 sound chip. Any links
to a definitive alsa or oss installation. sndconfig reports it's
unsupported and the redhat-config-soundcard reports
Vendor: Cirrus Logic
Model: CS4610 SoundFusion Audio Accelerator
Module: unknown

It will not play the test sound. How am I supposed to watch DVD's on
this thing without the sound working? Ideas?