Happy birthday

Today marks the eighth anniversary of the first meeting of the
Southern Illinois Linux Users Group.  In those eight years, Linux has
come a long way.  In 1994, Linux was mostly still a toy, but it was
starting to become a useful system.  Since then, it has evolved into a
niche server, then a general-purpose low-end server, to a
vendor-supported server, a Wall Street phenomenon, and now it is
slowly but surely turning into the death of commercial Unix, as well
as a mainstream desktop operating system.

  http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/ptech/09/19/sun.computers.reut/index.html

Who would have thought even, say, 4 years ago that IBM would be Linux
mainframes?  Who could have guessed that Linux would one day be the OS
of choice for one of the most user-friendly computing devices ever
(the TiVo).  And then there is the Zaurus, Yopy, Agenda...

Anyway, in honor of the occasion, I'm taking a celebratory day off on
Saturday, and everyone is invited to join me.  :-)  See the first news
item on the web site for details, and be sure to contact me if you are
interested *soon*.