Re: DNS error

Hi Bob,

On Wednesday, September 18, 2002, 2:43 PM, you hammered out in part about "DNS error":

First, thanks for the explanation...

B> This is a dynamic dns update message, do you have win2k/xp machines
B> using this dns server?

Yes, I have one machine that uses W2K part time.  This must be it.  I have
static addresses, but my DNS server on another machine is listed as
primary on the W2K machine.

B> Windows automatically attempts to update the dns records when the ip
B> addresses change, when they come into the domain or if they haven't
B> successfully registered their dns.  The orielly book on active
B> directory does a really good job of explaining this.

Umm, IP addresses are static, but something still must be making it do so.
yes, when it comes into the domain, when the W2K machine starts up
(although it still has the same static IP address as another machine/OS
(dual boot).

B>   If you do not have win machines using this dns then maybe your dhcp
B> server is attempting to do an automatic update.  I get this message all
B> the time because my win2k server is constantly trying to make updates
B> to the primary linux dns server (which does ddns with itself because
B> it's also the dhcp server) but I only allow signed dns updates from the
B> localhost with a key.

Interesting..

B>   Who has the ip address in the error message?

Me, that is my address outside WAN address.

B> Hopefully this helps

Yes, thanks.. appreciate your explanation.

--

Best regards,
 Gary

When you come to a fork in the road, take it!