Re: permissions and ownership question

On 31 Jul 2002, Jason Smith wrote:

> I am wanting all the files and directories created under one directory
> to have the same permissions and ownership.  As it works right now
> whenever I create a directory or file it creates it with 664 permissions
> and jason:jason for user and group.  What I'm wanting is for all files
> and directories, only in this directory, to be created with a
> permissions mask of 644 and <user>:users for the user and group
> permissions.  Is this possible?

Given that <user> is the user creating the file,

chgrp users newdir/

chmod 644 newdir/

chmod +s newdir/

That will make every file created under newdir 644 and the group set to
"users".

Hope that's what you're looking for. It's referred to as the "sticky bit".

Director of Exam Development            http://www.lpi.org/