Re: That was fun.

If there is anyone on the list within the broadcast region of WICS
(channel 20 in Springfield, IL) they are going to be interviewing one of
our geologists about earthquakes in Illinois. A while back we had a
project in which we mapped "liquifaction features" in the Wabash valley.
These are features produced when the earth is shook (shaken?) hard enough
so that a layer of sand begins to flow like a liquid--sometimes forming a
geyser-like blow.

These features stay visible in the ground for a very long time, and we
were able to document hundreds of large earthquakes spanning over the last
8,000 years.

eks

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> I probably should have been more specific...  :-)
>
> Apparently there were two separate quakes: a 5.0 in Darmstadt, IN
> (near Evansville)
>
>     http://folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu/recenteqs/Quakes/usfnbk.html
>
> and a 4.4 in Brookport, IL (near Paducah, KY)
>
>     http://folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu/recenteqs/Quakes/nm571.html
>
> As near as I can tell, I felt both, but just barely.
>
> Steve

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      email:erich(at)illinois.state.museum
                 http://illinois.state.museum/