Re: Firewalling High Speed Interfaces (ATM -> GigE)

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Mark Bishop wrote:
> Have you even considered using something other then Linux?  If I had to
> firewall something at that speed I'd used something from Cisco.  Their
> processors are designed to do stuff like this and can do it much faster
> then x86.  You would also get a lot more features using their OS then you
> would using a Linux kernel.

I'm not convinced this is true. When I was dealing heavily in Cisco stuff,
granted it's been a couple years now, but they were actually experimenting
with replacing IOS with a Linux product. I'm also not sure they aren't
using an x86 processor in many of their products. In any case, I wouldn't
be so quick to judge.

Director of Exam Development            http://www.lpi.org/