Re: Configuration Management (CM) for data centers

Well, around these parts we have an admin manual that is both online and
printed out down in the server room.  It contains information on
every machine that we have:

Hardware info (processors, ram, disk, SAN connection, etc)
IP address, subnet, other networking information
hostid and any licensing information for that machine
OS version and patch level
programs that are running (Oracle, ssh, sniffers, etc)
ports that are open on the machine and a brief explain of why they are
startup, shutdown, upgrade (hardware/software) procedures
contact information for the box
maintance contracts or any other contracting information
security information, allowed hosts, allowed users, etc
disaster recovery plan for the machine

Also, there is a tracking page of work done on the machine, while it isn't
always updated it is good to know if something is.

Tighe

--
Tighe Schlottog		Sys Admin at large	  /emry\"@"/accessus.net\
                             ook ook