Re: Network problem

At 09:11 PM 2/14/01 -0600, you wrote:

>Does it do this *all* the time?  If it does this all the time then there
>is most likely a timeout set.

Yes, it has done this continually since Linux was installed on the machine,
which was last week.  I also thought it could be an inactivity timeout at
first but it has disconnected me while I was in the middle of typing
something several times.

>If it does not do this all the time then further info would be needed.
>
>ie, system on campus and connect from on campus, connects from off campus,
>etc.

This is a system on campus.  I have tried from other machines on campus on
same subnet and with machines off campus all with the same results..

>Are you nfs mounting users homedirs?

No, I have one main root directory with the users home directories all on
the same partition.

>I'm using the stock 2.2.17 kernel w/ Mandrake myself and have yet to
>experience these problems.
>
>BTW, what type of security install did you do?

I installed using the Medium security setting

>--
>Sean...
>A flute with no holes is not a flute.  A donut with no hole is a danish.
>         --Chevy Chase, Caddyshack

Thank you for your help..  I also have iptables installed and several rules
in place but I have tried with and without the rules in place resulting in
the same problem.  Any other information you need to know?

                                                         Jim