Re: basic server

On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 15:47 -0600, hbrhodes wrote:
> if i were able to get up to one of the meetings, would you guys be able
> to help me or teach me while i attempt doing it, set up a basic server
> so i can keep a computer in the basement that i would store files on
> without worrying about losing files if i format the upstairs computer?

Bentley,

You don't have to haul yourself all the way up here for something this
simple. All you need to do is set up a machine with lots of hard drive
space as a file server. If you set up both NFS and Samba, you'll be able
to mount bulk drive space to any other system in your house. That's an
excellent to back up a system before doing a fresh NFS install. I've
archived more than a hundred ISO images on such a machine.

The "hard" part will be the upstairs-downstairs connection. If you
already have a hole in the floor, that's one thing. Long Cat5/6 runs
work, but they're almost always unsightly somewhere along the path.
Steve and I have an alternative that uses a pair of Linksys WRT54GS
routers to create a wireless link to a remote system. If you're
interested, I'll send you the instructions. Unfortunately Steve found
another gear near the end of the setup process and pulled away faster
than I could take notes. What we have is maybe 95% complete.

--Doc