Re: SUCCESS

personally i'm new, i'm stupid /w linux, and i get bored with studying
my nursing stuff so i start looking for distractions (like scripting).
i like rar because i used winrar on windows a lot.  i don't know much of
anything about linux, i would like to get my fiancee's computer switched
over to linux fc5 (later) and mine, set up an httpd server, and be king
of the known universe too : )

honestly though i'm new and i'm messing around with stuff to learn it.
i have been using linux almost exlusively for about a year or two now
(close to 2).  and my *(#@*( script didn't work either.

i'll post what i have and what i think it should do, if anyone doesn't
mind giving it a looksee i'd appreciate it.    the basic function of my
script is to identify where rar resides, and then when i use the rar
command with 'a' or 'x' (add or extract) what commands/ switches i want
added.  i think i'm missing something, mind you i'm just starting out.
i think it should be something else in there, like function rar {path}
...... if [ "rar" = "rar a" ]; then yadda yadda.  i'm not a programmer
though, and i'm just starting out ... i don't necesarrily need a
"finished" answer ... just whether i should be heading in the direction
if: function, if, loops, while, or then ..... thanks for the help and
time reading my message

# .bashrc
# User specific aliases and functions
function rar {
   ~/the.hole/rar/rar
}
if [ "rar a" = "rar a" ]; then
   /1435/the.hole/rar/rar a -ag+YYYY_MMDD- -ep1 -m5 -ol -ow -r -rr -s
-v700m -x*.iso -ms*.rar;*.zip;*.mp3;*.ogg;*.tar.*;*.ppt;*.PPT
fi

if [ "rar x" = "rar x" ]; then
   /1435/the.hole/rar/rar x -ad
fi