Re: special device /dev/sda1

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 16:38 -0500, bentley rhodes wrote:
> bentley rhodes wrote:
>
> > what am i supposed to do when the following occurs?
> > [root@bntly lvmgui-0.4]# umount /dev/sdb1
> > umount: /dev/sdb1: not mounted
> > [root@bntly lvmgui-0.4]# mount -text2 /dev/sda1 /portney/opus
> > mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist
> > [root@bntly lvmgui-0.4]#
> >
> > i'm trying to mount or unmount  (mount in this case) my /dev/sda1
> > drive (my cruzer 256) and it won't let me.
> >
> > -
> > To unsubscribe, send email to majordomo@silug.org with
> > "unsubscribe silug-discuss" in the body.
> >
>     k, i found the answer is:  use parted and establish a new msdos
> table with the command mklabel msdos

Bentley,

Remember that USB drives are designed to behave like floppies. They're
normally formatted with simple vfat filesystems, and only one of those
per device. That's why they appear as /dev/sda..sdz instead
of /dev/sda1..sdz1.

It's possible to create multiple partitions and other filesystems on
them, just as it's possible to do that with floppy disks. Just remember
that when imparted with sufficient initial velocity, pigs can and do fly
(though not well).

-- Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
Fedora Core 4 kernel 2.6.12-1.1398_FC4 on a P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
            ** Bob Costas for Baseball Commissioner **