LVM and fdisk

    hey i'm trying to make an lvm with two usb flash drives (sda1 and
sdb1) , and i would like to use parted; i don't think parted can do it
though so i am not contemplating fdisk which i see has a LVM as 8e.
i've looked around on the net and i indeed see howto's on the matter.
and then i read in the lvm howto about using vgcreate, so i used it as
root.  so far i have seen

*# vgcreate my_volume_group /dev/hda1 /dev/hdb1

but i can't figure out how to make it work, it just says the volume doesn't exist:
  No physical volume label read from /dev/sda1
  /dev/sda1 not identified as an existing physical volume
  Unable to add physical volume '/dev/sda1' to volume group 'VolGroup02'.

*

can anyone guide me through this?  the drives are going to be ext2,
/dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1.
pvcreate won't let me do anything and neither will vgcreate.