Re: yee-gads! i almost had it.

k.  i'm not trying to cause problems or beat a dead horse.  i was
thinking my troubles were because of my using the USBDISK thing.  but
when i fomatted my 80gig drive as Fat32 and pulled it from the fstab
originally it didn't matter, it wouldn't load at boot either.  it (the
loadup screen with all the information that tells was is [ok] and what
has [failed]) says the device has a bad superblock.  granted all i did
was type in the following for fstab:
/dev/hdc1      /portney/      vfat      defaults      1 2
and i pretty did the same for the sda1 drive.  i don't know ... i'm
making backups right now, and i will continue to fiddle with it.
granted i haven't really messed with the mtab file, though when i did
(the last time) i deleted any information there that point to the hdc
drive as well as in the fstab file.  i saved it, closed it (them), and
then loaded them to type in the new information.  old information was
ext2 (i formatted them with fdisk) new information was done and i used
the c or 0c label.  i'm going back to ext2 with parted.

bntly.rhds wrote:

>    greetings, i pulled out my reeference book and discovered the
> heximal thing for fstab someone mentioned was 0 for full rights
> (normally 7), and so on.  i found in the book how it was determined.
> apparently if i want -rwxrw-r-- then i need to put 764 minus 666 which
> gives me 098.  i don't know, but does that sound right?  umask=098
> (aka 764)?    if so, here's another question.  i was trying to edit my
> fstab entry, here it is fstab and then mtab normally:
>
>    * /dev/sda1               /media/usbdisk          vfat
> pamconsole,exec,noauto,iocharset=utf8,noatime,sync,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,managed
>
>      0 0
>    * /dev/sda1 /media/usbdisk vfat
>
> rw,nosuid,nodev,sync,noatime,iocharset=utf8,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,user=bntly_rhds
>
>      0 0
>
>    now, i have tried to change the entries from usbdisk to tyeblen,
> and on just one entry (fstab or mtab) and on both.  upon rebooting the
> &*@**&! has changed it back to the original configuration.  i also
> noticed that there is a thing called LABEL=/folder.  where does that
> point to?  if i'm asking to many questions, i'd appreciate the one
> being answered about the fstab file, mainly on how i can keep it from
> changing itself back to a different entry than the one i changed it
> to.  so here goes:
>
>    * why does fstab and mtab keep changing their contents when i have
>      modified them as root.
>    * what is a label, and how can i tell the computer that i want
>      LABEL=/portney in fstab, and perhaps it should point to mtab?
>
>    i think that is it.  have a good day!

Bentley Rhodes
1435 Luce St.
Cape Girardeau, Mo 63701