Re: Microsoft edging toward the brink? -- Novell will break MS

On Saturday, Feb 12, 2005, at 14:19 US/Central, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-02-12 at 13:46 -0600, Robert Citek wrote:
>> Here, here!  MS isn't a software company.  It's a software
>> distribution
>> company.
>
> Actually, I consider them an investment company that outsources
> everything.

I'd agree if they did outsource everything.  But as you mention, MS
does have their own development team.  Also, I can't think of one
instance where MS has acted like a venture capitalist or angel
investor.  Instead, they tend to purchase the competing business
outright, or crush them.

But I'm curious to know, how do you see MS as an investment company?

>> Things that are chipping away at the control of the distribution
>> chain:
>> FLOSS, BitTorrent, cheap CDs and CD-burners, and inexpensive
>> broadband.
>
> Er, not really IMHO.  These contribute, yes, but they have _always_
> been
> available in one form or another to the masses.  Cheap bandwidth has
> largely been used for other, and in many cases "not so ethical,"
> purposes by the masses.  But those who wanted Freedomware before its
> availability always had an avenue in one form or another.

That is very true: if you knew about FLOSS and where to get it, you
could.  That's also true of pirated software: if you knew about it and
where to get it, you could.  But MS is making it harder and harder to
get its software, even pirated versions.  For one, each new OS required
a more powerful computer.  Then, with each new OS there were more hoops
to getting it to run, with the most recent hoop being "activation."  A
future hoop: hardware authentication.  As time goes on, those hoops
that MS puts up are beginning to look like enormous obstacles.

Now enter FLOSS, BitTorrent, and inexpensive broadband.  With FLOSS
getting more and more press, people are beginning to realize that they
could keep their existing hardware and install FLOSS instead.  But how
do they get FLOSS?  Answer: use BitTorrent and download the FLOSS over
your inexpensive broadband connection.

> The _real_ challenge to Microsoft is the business consumers who want
> Linux from the traditional distribution channels.  I've always said
> that
> it will not be organized home users that overthrown the Microsoft
> monopoly, but the adoption of Linux in the business.  Because once
> businesses have Freedomware on the desktop, it is only a matter of time
> before people bring it home.

Agreed.  But I think that more and more businesses are realizing that
they don't have to go to CompUSA or Best Buy to get their software.  In
fact, they are realizing they don't even have to go to CDW to have
software shipped to them.  Businesses are getting more and more
comfortable with getting software over the Internet.  We do.  In fact,
we even get MS software over the internet.  For example, we never
installed IE6 from a CD at work.  We got it over the 'net from
Microsoft.   For some other software, we downloaded the ISO and, after
purchase, we were sent (e-mail, fax, voice, etc.) the software key to
install it.  We are becoming very comfortable with getting software
(and other items, e.g. orders, contracts, etc.) over the 'net.

If businesses can get MS software over the 'net, the obvious question
then becomes what other software can they get over the 'net?  Answer:
FLOSS, with perhaps the biggest example to date being FireFox.  And how
can we get FLOSS quickly and reliably?  Answer: BitTorrent.  (Although
Mozilla has not provided BitTorrent as an option, most distributors of
ISOs that are including Mozilla FireFox do, including the OpenCD,
Fedora, Xandros, and Knoppix.)

So, while I agree that business consumers will challenge Microsoft, I
believe they will be looking to non-traditional distributors and
non-traditional distribution methods, such as BitTorrent.  And,
initially, they will not be looking so much to linux (except maybe the
IT department for their servers), but rather to desktop applications
like FireFox, OpenOffice.org, Thunderbird, that extend the life of
their existing desktop hardware and run on their existing familiar
desktop operating system: Windows.

Thoughts?  BTW, the above is just an opinion and I reserve the right to
be wrong.  :)

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent