Re: silug: making TAR with errors

On Sun, 2004-12-26 at 18:46 -0600, bentley_rhodes wrote:
> hi, i tar'd my system and when i tried to open the files (i made a
> separate file for each directory) it said there is a problem opening the
> file.  i changed the ownership attributes of the files and recieved the
> same errors.
What specific errors?  At first glance, I see a few problems with what
you're doing:

> tar czpvf /Portney/backup/lost+found.tar.bz /lost+found
You don't need to back this up.  It's a folder full of what can be
equated to lost clusters on an ext2 or ext3 filesystem.  It's only
populated when there are filesystem problems, and it's populated with
bits of files, not whole ones.  The directory is created automatically
when you run mke2fs or mke3fs.

> tar czpvf /Portney/backup/proc.tar.bz /proc/
You especially don't need this.  /proc is a window into RAM.  It is full
of lots of pseudo-files containing information on running processes,
kernel configurations, and process RAM.  My guess is that the backup is
choking here, running out of space.  Make sure that when you're
restoring, that this directory exists so that the /proc filesystem can
be mounted.

> tar czpvf /Portney/backup/tmp.tar.bz /tmp/
On some distributions, this directory is cleared of files on bootup.
Don't keep anything important here.

--
Paul Nicholas McCubbins <nick77@dtnspeed.net>