Re: Is there a way to do this?

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 03:09:43PM -0500, Ken Keefe wrote:
> Anyway, my question is, is there a way to open a text file on a remote
> system using a local application only through a ssh session? In other

Is there a way?  Yes.

Is the way trivial enough to explain in an email to someone?  Not
really.

In short, doing things this way would entail setting up a potentially
dangerous service (friends don't let friends NFS over teh intarweb) on
a machine in hopes of adding to convenience.  On the flipside, one
could probably firewall the potentially dangerous service and still be
able to get to it via an SSH tunnel, but I can't be quoted on this
since I've never had the patience to sit down and actually try it.

For the curious, it involves running an SSH tunnel over to the target
box and running NFS over it.  It's also a major PITA.

> words, I'd like to edit this file, but I don't want to use the emacs on
> my server, I want to use the emacs on my local machine so it is very
> responsive.

See above.

--
Nathaniel Reindl

    "Die Grenzen meiner Sprache bedeuten die Grenzen meiner Welt."
       (The limits of my language mean the limits of my world.)
			-- Ludwig Wittgenstein