remote editing over ssh (was: Is there a way to do this?)

On Friday, Oct 15, 2004, at 15:27 US/Central, NZG wrote:
> Eeeek vi!,Do not join his lemur evil cult!

Oh, vi and emacs suck equally good.

> If you have not yet discoved nano, let me suggest it, it's small, text
> based, and very not insane.

Nano is the OpenSource incarnation of pico which derives from emacs.

> Ken Keefe wrote:
>> So, when I want to edit a text config file on my server I usually
>> open a
>> ssh and say "emacs <file> &"
>>
>> The problem with that is that because it is not only sending the file
>> data, it is sending the gui data with it, it is very slow over a
>> normal
>> internet connection. I know I could do emacs -nw to speed things up,
>> but
>> I like the window.
>>
>> Anyway, my question is, is there a way to open a text file on a remote
>> system using a local application only through a ssh session? In other
>> words, I'd like to edit this file, but I don't want to use the emacs
>> on
>> my server, I want to use the emacs on my local machine so it is very
>> responsive.

Another way might be to use the sftp:// (I think that's what it is)
protocol built into Konquerer.  You can then browse files and folders
like you would normally do in Konquerer.  You can also edit files in
place (actually Konquerer copies the files to a local temporary file
and then copies it back again).

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource.  Distribute FLOSS for
Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent