your input is requested...

i am working on the file server side of my desktop machine.

i have 3 120 gig drives, currently mounted to /mnt/hdc1 hde1 and hdf1.

i am sharing the data out with samba, that isnt a big deal, im sharing out
subfolders.  ie:
[videos]
path = /mnt/hde1/Videos

etc.. with proper permissions and whatnot (readable only to my user on most
shares, read only to public on some, and i am going to set up a world
writable folder as well

what i want to do though is share some of these folders out to anonymous
ftp.  vsftpd doesnt follow symlinks by default, im hesitant to enable that
feature.  ive thought about just doing a mount --bind, but that seems sorta
a kludgy way to do it to me but it is how i have done it in the past.

basically i want anon ftp users to have read only access to certain folders
without being able to see the entire machine's directory structure.  i want
to keep the anon default home as /usr/ftp/ (i think that is the default).
from the point of view of the logged in user, he should have access to
/sharename or /pub/sharename (he shouldnt know that it is in truth
/mnt/hdc1/sharename instead).  i am not certain that this is even possible
without a bind mount when using vsftpd.

the other side to that is i want normal users to be able to log in through
ftp and not be chrooted into their home folder.  i want them to see the
whole file system (at least the parts they have permission to see) and be
able to upload files and whatnot.  i know ftp uses plaintext authentication
but that really isnt that important, this is a machine for me and my
roommates to use, not the public at large.  when not at home i fully intend
to force the use of ssh/sftp.

i also plan on doing nfs but only for authenticated users.  i have never
done anything with nfs before, so this should be interesting.  i havent
decided what i will use nfs for yet, other than to toy with.

occasionally my roommates and i have a small gaming lan with friends who
bring over their own machines.  i dont want these people in all of my file
server, just parts of it, and i dont want to have to set up a user for each
one of them.  some of them like ftp (like me) and some like smb shares.

well any insights from anyone are welcome :)

Casey

ps.   hotmail finally let me change the real name associated with my account
without erroring out!  w00t w00t