Linux baselining , going from UNIX to Linux

All,

I have a topic I'd like to discuss and get input on. In some recent classes
for RH Linux,
our instructor showed us how to perform something he called "Baselining" .

What we did was bascially write a simple bash shell script that would
collect data
about system resources, such as hard disk space, memory usage, swap space,
etc,
etc. We set this up as a daily cronjob to run, and saved output to a file
"bsl.$mm$dd$yy"

The idea is see and understand what you system has in the beginning, and
then later when/if
you have problems(after you install something), to go back historically and
check the stats of
what you started with, and see what has changed .

This would be useful for us because we are now having other groups placing
their applications on
some of our Linux/UNIX servers and we hope would let us see clearly
what/who fouled up a
system at a certain time. (i.e. badly written peice of software does not
perform garbage collection
and eventually eats all available memory on the box, or fills up all hard
drive disk space with an
application log)

Has anyone done this or something similar before ?

Some of the commands I want to use in the bsl script are (but not limited
to)
dfspace , sar , vmstat, free, lsof, ps -ef , mount

Others ? Has anyone done anything similar to this ?

r h