Re: troubleshooting samba connections

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 01:57:35PM -0600, Roger_Hill@May-Co.com wrote:
> I changed my "Security Level" from "user" to "share" seems to work better
> now.

Sure, but it's not The Right Way To Do It(TM).

> smbstatus tells me I'm using Samba v2.2.5, I found the log files for samba
> (/var/log/samba - imagine! ;-)

Oh, yeah, I guess I over-snipped your message.  I meant to mention
that.  :-)

> Hmm. don't know about the upgrade to Fedora thing just yet, how about
> installing the latest and greatest version of samba rpm ? Would that
> be equivalent (or close?)

Well, that would get you the latest & greatest Samba, but that
wouldn't help with the other problems.  Like I said:

> RH8 had some nasty bugs in rpm that aren't fixed in any errata.
> It's really a Bad Idea to stick with it.

And by "nasty bugs" I mean "eat rpm's database" kind of bugs.  When
that happens, it is a *real* pain to recover.  You may as well be
running Slackware at that point.

Not only that, but as of next month (as I recall), Red Hat isn't
putting out any more updates for Red Hat 8.  Upgrading to Fedora Core
1 is painless, fixes a *lot* of bugs, gets you updated versions of a
lot of useful things, and keeps you current with Red Hat for a while.

If you don't want to download the ISOs (and you don't mind the upgrade
taking a little while), download either the appropriate .img files or
the boot.iso from here:

  http://ftp.kspei.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/os/images/

Then do an HTTP install from that URL minus the trailing "images/".