Re: Comments on Fedora Core 1

In a feeble attempt to get the signal-to-noise ratio back on the list
back to an acceptable level (hint, hint), I'd like to offer another
comment on Fedora Core 1.

This is a quote from the RELEASE-NOTES:

  o The Fedora Core 1 kernel includes new Exec-shield functionality.
    Exec-shield is a security-enhancing modification to the Linux kernel
    that makes large parts of specially-marked programs -- including their
    stack -- not executable. This can reduce the potential damage of some
    security holes. Exec-shield is related to the older "non-exec stack
    patch" but has the potential to provide greater protection.

    Exec-shield can also randomize the virtual memory addresses at which
    certain binaries are loaded. This randomized VM mapping makes it more
    difficult for a malicious application to improperly access code or
    data based on knowledge of the code or data's virtual address.

For any of you who are running Internet-accessible systems on earlier
versions of Red Hat, I would suggest thinking *very* seriously about
upgrading...