Comments on Fedora Core 1

So, like I was just saying, I upgraded my notebook (the WinBook X4
that I couldn't pass up for half price earlier this year) to Fedora
Core 1.  Some comments:

  * I found it odd that the installer didn't ask if I wanted to
    customize the set of packages to be installed.  (Not really a
    big deal.)

  * I highly recommend reading the RELEASE-NOTES.

    http://ftp.silug.org/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/os/RELEASE-NOTES.html

    After reading that, I started playing with power management a bit
    for the first time.  ACPI actually works on this notebook now.  I
    shut it down a minute ago, and it actually powered off.  Not only
    that, I get battery status.  :-)  Now if only the cpufreq stuff
    was a little simpler...

  * The built-in Prism 2.5 chipset wireless on this thing actually
    works with orinoco_pci now.  The last time I tried it, it would
    hang after any serious use.  (That said, I did finally build an
    rpm for the hostap module, if anyone has a use for it.)

  * The kernel configuration includes the sis drm module, but I
    figured out after a little work that the sis650 chipset on this
    notebook still isn't supported by DRI.  (2D still works nicely
    though.  I was just hoping to be able to play tuxracer on this
    thing finally.  ;-)

  * yum sucks.  Stick with apt.  (See my previous posts for the little
    bit of work that needs to be done to set it up.)

That's all for now...