Re: OT: floppy drives suck (was Re: OT: power supplies suck)

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 07:43:43AM -0500, Stephen D Reindl wrote:
> Nate and I have had actual smoke come from the floppy connector (ribbon
> cable) and the power supply survived. Of course nothing worked while the
> pins on the floppy were welding themselves together.

Heh.  I remember that.  We plugged the floppy in backwards and turned
the machine on.  A few moments later, the smell of smoke flowed from the
open case.

> E=IR. If R=0 (a short) then by definition (multiplication by 0) so does
> E (electromotive force or voltage). Did this help or confuse?

Yeah.  For a circuit to be complete, some resistance must exist; simply
hooking the two poles of a power source together won't wield anything
too incredible, nor will putting LEDs down without resistors produce
anything more than a moderately warm battery.

Oh, and to any of you who've noticed, this is why resistors are needed
along with LEDs since LEDs don't provide their own resistance.

--
Nathaniel Reindl
fiction&sdf;lonestar;org >> fiction&twu;net >>