Re: OT: floppy drives suck (was Re: OT: power supplies suck)

No, it makes perfect sense. If the 5V output from the power supply is
shorted by a short to ground in the floppy then the power supply will
"crowbar" or protect itself and the 5V output will drop to 0V.

And the green LED will not come on.

Nate and I have had actual smoke come from the floppy connector (ribbon
cable) and the power supply survived. Of course nothing worked while the
pins on the floppy were welding themselves together.

E=IR. If R=0 (a short) then by definition (multiplication by 0) so does
E (electromotive force or voltage). Did this help or confuse?

Steve (AASET)

--
Stephen D. Reindl / sreindl@apci.net
RLLNW / PRS