Re: SCSI tape drive unrecognized

Steve,

You're right. sym53c8xx_2 is the newest driver of the lot. You would
*think* it is the most compatible, and it may still prove to be.

For one thing, for whatever reason, the only way I can get any of those
drivers to load is to boot the original Psyche kernel. Whenever I try to
boot either of the two errata kernels, the PCI chain gets confused
starting with device 8.0.0 (the host adapter). Don't ask me why -- I
gotta walk before I can run.

Here are the results of manual 'insmod' trials:

   sym53c8xx_2	Pass
   sym53c8xx	Fail
   ncr53c8xx	Pass

The only differences I can discern between the first and third is that
the first generates a file /proc/scsi/sym53c8xx/1 containing:

  Chip sym53c810, device id 0x1, revision id 0x1
  On PCI bus 8, device 0, function 0, IRQ 11
  Min. period factor 25, Narrow SCSI BUS
  Max. started commands 510, max. commands per LUN 64

while the second generates a file /proc/scsi/ncr53c8xx/2 containing:

  Chip NCR53C810, device id 0x1, revision id 0x1
  On PCI bus 8, device 0, function 0, IRQ 11
  Synchronous period factor 25, max commands per lun 32

Sadly this is a lot of barely interesting trivia, since subsequent loads
of the st.o driver do nothing constructive with either HA driver
variant.

I ask any reader of this list running one or more SCSI host adapters to
examine their configuration files and post examples of how my manual
attempts fall short. For example, what are your /etc/grub.conf
arguments? Your /etc/modules.conf entries? Your mkinitrd configurations?

--Doc