SCSI tape drive unrecognized

Having a senior moment here. Don't remember how to get a SCSI tape drive
recognized as /dev/st0.

Situation:  IBM laptop in docking station. Docking station has Symbios
53C810-type SCSI host adapter installed and connected to external DAT
drive. The HA and drive work perfectly with a Win2K drive in the laptop.
Since this is a post-install RH8 configuration, I've had to manually add
the following lines to /etc/modules.conf:

   # SCSI host adapter (docking station only)
   alias scsi-hostadapter0 sym53c8xx_2
   #
   # Tape drivers (docking station only)
   alias st0 st
   # OnStream driver
   #alias osst0 osst
   #

For some reason none of these modules load at boot time, so I must load
them after bootup:

   # insmod sym53c8xx_2
   Using /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/scsi/sym53c8xx_2/sym53c8xx_2.o
   # insmod st
   Using /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/scsi/st.o

Trouble is, the DAT drive at SCSI ID=6 does not appear in
/proc/scsi/scsi:

   # cat /proc/scsi/scsi
   Attached devices:
   Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
     Vendor: TOSHIBA  Model: DVD-ROM SD-R2002 Rev: 1129
     Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

and I can't access the a tape loaded in the drive:

   # tar tfv /dev/st0 *
   tar: /dev/st0: Cannot open: No such device

I'm looking for an entry in /proc/scsi/scsi like:

   Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
     Vendor: Archive ......

Any ideas about what I'm missing???  I've tried using
"scsi-hostadapter1" instead of "scsi-hostadapter0" in modules.conf with
no change.

I need to do a full tape backup of my [damaged] RH8 installation before
I can move up to Phoebe2.

---Doc