Re: Filesystem Quotas

>>> For instance, luser1 has a quota of 200GB, but creates a directory
>>> /home/luser1/luser2 that luser2 can write to, under the auspices of
>>> sharing data.  luser2 dumps 250GB of data to that directory, and the
>>> quota system could care less.
>>>
>>> So, my question is, is there a way to prevent writes to a
>>> filesystem unless the user has a quota?
>>
>> Why does luser2 have a 250GB+ quota?
>[snip]
>
> You missed the point, but I appreciate the advice nonetheless.

Then put a hard quota of 10MB on luser2 and he won't be able to stuff data
into luser1's area (or anyone else's area, for that matter).

If luser2 can put 250GB wherever he/she likes, I don't see any administrative
problem with him/her putting it under luser1's home directory.

Now, if the problem is really that luser2 *has no quota limits* and is
willing to "share" their unlimited quota with anyone, then the solution
is that you need to either impose limits on luser2 or tell them to quit
sharing disk space.

It's fairly easy to identify the disk hogs and then ask them to justify
what they're using. They'll often sacrifice the "shared" data first...
The 'du' command should help you identify them.

As for preventing writes to a filesystem by users that have no quota, no.
By definition, they have no quota, as you said. However, as administrative
policy, you *require everyone* to have a quota - no exceptions - then
you can make a correlary policy that if your quota is not pre-defined,
then the default quota you get is *zero*. It then behooves folks to decide
what their quota needs to be.

Alternatively, you can make it a really small value, like 5MB with a hard
limit of 10MB.

Part of your question may be related to using soft and hard limits effectively
as well.

I hope that was more useful.

Mike808/