Re: Still stuck trying to use X remotely

> Did you try the command under root?  Did you try running the command while an X
> session was up?  These two questions might point towards your 'unable to open
> display' solution...

don't need to run teh command as root.  only as the uid of the Xsession
that is running.  plus the remote display variable needs to be set as
well.  check out the ascii art

    client                            server
     ____                              ____
    |    |--------------------------> |    |
     ----                              ----
                  SSH Session

Now that you have connected to the server you are going to need to setup a
few variables to allow access back to your machine (client).  Do the
following, open another terminal on client and run the following:

client$  xhost + server

In the ssh session to server you are going to need to run the following

server$  DISPLAY=client:0.0
server$  export DISPLAY

    client                            server
     ____                              ____
    |    |<-------------------------- |    |
     ----                              ----
                 X session

Now all that you need to do to get the Kword session back to your machine
(client) is to run it:

server$  kword

Now if you run into some problems try the following:

1)  It might be that xhost isn't adding server to the control list
properly.  Use "xhost + <ip of server>" or just "xhost +".  I wouldn't
recommend using the second because you are essentically allowing everyone
access to your X server.

2)  It might be that your DISPLAY varible is messed up.  Place the ip
address of the client machine in instead of the name.  Like this:
"DISPLAY=<ip of client>:0.0".

3)  If all else fails run truss or strace against that puppy and see
what kind of spew it pours out.  :)

Well kids, its late.  And I got an early day of gaming tomorrow.  w00t.
Have a good one.

Tighe

--
Tighe		w00t		blumnky