Re: Filesystems

KoReE said:
> Is this similar (although I'm sure much better) to the way NTFS does
> things?

Not at all, really...

> Is it possible to convert an ext2 filesystem to an ext3 without
> moving from one drive/partition to another?

Yes.  Let's say /home is /dev/hda5.  Here's how you would convert it
to ext3:

    umount /home
    tune2fs -j -J size=10 # creates a 10MB journal
    mount -t ext3 /dev/hda5 /home

(This, of course, assumes you have upgraded the kernel and e2fsprogs.)

To go back to ext2 you would do the following:

    umount /home
    mount -t ext2 /dev/hda5 /home

Of course, that leaves the journal, but that means you can go back and
forth between ext2 and ext3 at will.

(618)398-7320             | See web site for meeting details.