Re: Microsoft gone - AGAIN???

Jason Smith said:
> Ping statistics for 207.46.230.229:     Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0,
> Lost = 4 (100% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
> Minimum = 0ms, Maximum =  0ms, Average =  0ms

Don't assume that a site is down just because you can't ping it.  A
lot of firewalls block ICMP to one degree or another.  Sometimes
they'll at least be nice enough to do something like this:

 PING www.amazon.com (208.216.181.15) from 192.168.2.102 : 56(84) bytes of data.
 From amazon-oc3-gw.customer.ALTER.NET (157.130.178.2): Packet filtered

 --- www.amazon.com ping statistics ---
 8 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, +1 errors, 100% packet loss

That's pretty rare though.  (As an example of someone who just eats
pings, try www.rsasecurity.com.)

> Quite interesting.  Try to bring their site up by IP address, went for a
> couple of minutes then timed out.  I hate to speculate but could it be
> another DDos attack?

A more interesting test would be "nc -vvz 207.46.230.229 80".  Then
you can find out if the connection is even accepted or not.  You might
also try traceroute to see where the connection fails.

> Is the fall of microsoft near? ;->

They'll eventually hire some firewall people with a clue, I'm sure.

(618)398-7320             | See web site for meeting details.