Network Question Please

Red Hat 7.    I have two NIC's, one to connect to the Internet (eth0) and on
to connect to another computer (eth1).  I have set the route as eth0 to the
net.  When I ping the ISP gateway, eth1 tries to ping.  Where else do you
have to set the route.  It is correct in /etc/sysconf??/ifc-eth0 and
ifc-eth1.   I have used Red Hat's control panel and hand edited these files.
The programs in Red Hat's control panel do not work correctly.

All help appreciated,
Everett