RE: Let's see if I have this correct

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Larry White wrote:

> What is "command line parsing?"  Sounds AWKful!
>
> > AWK is god.  For command line parsing you can't get much better.  Hell
> > people have even written a webserver in awk.  Search the monastary
> > archives for more information.  :)

kara>$ cat myfile.txt | sed -e s/teh/the/ > mynewfile.txt

This is an example of command line manipulation, or "parsing" that is
commonly used. In this example, I'm using sed to go through the original
file, myfile.txt, and replace every instance of "teh" with "the" and
saving the changes to the file called mynewfile.txt. This is all done from
the command line. A lot fancier stuff can be done, with sed, awk, and
such.

Author, RHCE Exam Cram
Director of Exam Development            http://www.lpi.org/
Site Manager                            http://www.LinuxUsersGroups.org/