Re: Let's see if I have this correct

Title: Re: Let's see if I have this correct

I agree. How many times have I begged for suggestion for meetings? How many times have I got blank stares from the group. Hint: the answer is the same for both questions and it's a number between -1 and 1! The list you provided is a good one. I'll use it to set the agenda for up-coming meetings. But I will only get the conversation started. I will not guide nor lead the discussions. If people participate it will work. If they don't, so be it! Another thing we should do is after conducting some group business (socials, demo days, etc) we need to conduct a Q&A session. Maybe devote the 2nd hour to Q&A.

Original Message dated 1/17/01, 4:53:28 AM

Author: "Steve Reindl" <sreindl@home.com>

Re: Let's see if I have this correct:

We are having an organizational meeting Sun. Jan 21, 2001, 1pm, at SRA to discuss the when where etc. of the cert group. Is this correct?

Now for a short rant;

I originally sought out this group, back when it was SLUG the Scott Airforce Base Linux Users Group, to learn more about the operating system from my peers. I envisioned a dark room with at least one box running Linux and several red eyed, caffeine crazed humans looking over the shoulder of a similar human at the keyboard performing some small dazzling miracle. That being said, I am opposed to a formal structure in OUR lug. A mission statement, maybe. A formal board, no way. I believe, having been to a few meetings, that volunteerism is not lacking. We have a diverse interest base and should not want for things to learn about or demonstrations to view. I do think each meeting should end with a discussion of what the next meeting will bring. There are so many topics with more each day

ext2 vs reiserFS

Gnome vs KDE vs.........

new support and structures within the 2.4.X kernel

filesytem structure

command line power - awk, grep, sed, dmesg

command line configuration vs GUI configuration

the History and future of Linux

and dare I say it Linux programming while consuming Tequila or other grog

security issues

networking issues

server vs workstation configuration and kernel modules

We have barely touched these. I have enrolled in CIS299 A guide to UNIX using LINUX at SWIC this spring and would be happy to share what I learn as I go. Reading through the text, I will be bored for a while but you never know. I have talked to several people who want to see the cert group come to fruition and these meetings will probably be the only ones that they attend.

How about - "To learn Linux, to teach Linux and to advocate Linux"

Sorry about the rant, just my $.02

Juan Valdez, er... Nate's Dad.