RE: Mounting HD as user?

-----Original Message-----
From:	Everett [SMTP:ekh@hometel.com]
Sent:	Friday, December 08, 2000 3:38 PM
To:	silug-discuss@silug.org
Subject:	Mounting HD as user?

On my Red Hat 7 installation there is a neat little icon on the desk
that allows one to mount and unmount the CDROM and another
one for the floppy disk.  I thought that was so handy that I figured
out how to set one up to mount the Windows partition with the
neat little one click icon.  The problem is, when logged in as a
user, I get the message  (only root can mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos).
How do I give users permission to mount and unmount the
Windoz partition of the hard drive?
I know how to su root and mount from a command prompt.  I want
to do this task using the desk top icon, dare I say shortcut?

	Check "man fstab" (or is it mtab?).  Basically, every disk partition has a
line entry in fstab, including device, mount point, and FS type, and
options.  You need to add the "user" option on the line for the desired
partition.  The floppy drive line probably already has this entry.  The
user option will allow any user to mount/unmount the partition.

Nathan Yawn
yawn@emacinc.com