Re: Re: Re: Woah@Qt/Embedded

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Steve Reindl wrote:

> Time for Linux to move forward?! This is the tortoise and the hare thing
> right.
>
> Human kind and the vendors will come to the realization soon that Linux is
> the only way embedded architecture will prosper. It's portable, modular and
> completely open source. Try to get the source code for Windoze CE so you can
> configure it for your specific app. I'd bet you have to pay through the

bah, you don't comprehend the full picture.  There will never be one
de-facto OS for embedded systems.  Embedded systems vary sooo much that
there is no way there could be one standard.  We have everything from a
PIC12CE519 (1024K code space, 16 bytes memory) to a pentium here that are
used in embdded systems.  In some of the stuff - linux is way too much.  I
end up writing my own OS.

Now to the other idea:  Vendors arn't supporting their hardware under
Linux and this process isn't likely to change for quite some time.  There
are a variety of reasons, but in the end it comes down to money.  They
can't make any money doing it.
(Now I'm talking about hardware we use for embedded aviation devices - not
your garden variety desktop user hardware)

Nate: If you ever find yourself writing control code for an embedded DVD
control device...let me know...I have plenty of stuff to tell you to not
to do  *heh* )