Re: Certification

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> Mark said:
> > I hire people for my company and we don't care about certifications (Linux
> > or otherwise).  We care about your past experiences and how easy it might
> > be for you to learn our system.
>
> That's fine for you, but how about the people who aren't experts in
> the field they are hiring people for?  I know that in an ideal world
> $manager would have enough experience in $job to hire somebody
> qualified, but, let's face it, this isn't an ideal world.  Not only is
> $manager often not the slightest bit qualified, but often hiring is
> done by some random HR person without a background in computers who
> can only see years of experience and applicable certifications.

I can tell you that I've been on some 20 interviews here in Florida and
every time I was interviewed by someone who was an expert in their field.
I don't know what sort of companies you are interviewing for but that
would be a giant flag to me that I might not have a good time at a company
that treated their candidates in such an impersonal way.

> For a real-world example, let's say I needed to hire somebody who had
> Cisco experience.  Well, I know a little about Cisco equipment, so I
> could probably tell if a person's experience meant anything.
> Unfortunately though, I don't know enough about Cisco equipment to
> actually be able to judge whether a person *really* knew any more than
> I do.  Some kind of Cisco certification would at least give me a tiny
> bit of confidence...

So, would you hire the guy with 1 year experience and the certification or
would you hire the guy with 4 years experience with the Cisco hardware and
no certification?