RE: opinions

im in the process of dling the freebsd 4.1 iso and i was wondering if
anyone
had tried xfree 4 out yet.  particularly how well does it fair paired up
with kde or gnome?

	I've had X 4.0 running on Linux 2.2.14 for a few months now, and it's been
quite stable.  It's significantly faster than 3.3.x, even unaccelerated.  I
dropped in NVIDIA's accelerated driver for my TNT as well, and now it's
really fast.

	Can't help you on KDE or GNOME...I fought with GNOME so much at work I
didn't want to spoil my home machine with it (probably just doesn't like
window managers other than E).  I use AfterStep window manager with X 4.0.
 I like the look and feel, but it's quite rough around the edges.  I
understand WindowMaker is light, fast, and smooth, but I just got too used
to a real pager to put up with the WM "desktop manager" paperclip.

	If you use GNOME, you'd probably best stick with Enlightenment.  I simply
couldn't make GNOME start a different window manager.  I can make it not
 start /any/ window manager, but that's as far as I could get.  At least in
the version I have, GNOME seems a bit dependant on E.

	Hey, does this mean we get to start a window manager holy war here now? ;)

Nathan Yawn
yawn@emacinc.com