Re: DHCP

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, KoReE wrote:

> I need to ask a couple questions about DHCP.  Never having used it, I'm
> not quite sure what all it offers/entails.  I'm going to need a system
> that will dynamically allocate IPs, and, unless I implicitly tell it not
> to, will authenticate a system before giving it the IP#.  Does the DHCP

You can set up DHCP to assign per mac address, which is unique per
machine. Is that enough authentication for you?

> server/client environment allow for this?  If so, how good is the DHCP
> service in Linux?  If DHCP does not do this, what else is there that
> offers this sort of thing?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DHCP is wonderful :)

- Kara

Kara Pritchard, RHCE			Phone: 618-398-7360
Linux Users of Central Illinois		kara@luci.org
Asst Dir for Program Development	kara@lpi.org
Author, RHCE Exam Cram			kara@linux.com