cdrecord installation

Hello all.
I am in the process of trying to get my CD recorder to work under Linux.
I have Redhat 6.0 installed, and just downloaded cdrecord 1.6.1 (the
entire tarball, for all versions).
I first untarred the entire file, that seemed to go Ok.  Then  I read the
directions (No, not the directions) and copied the gmake script into
/usr/bin.  Then from the top level of the source directory
(cdrecord-1.6.1/) I issued 'gmake', then after completion 'gmake install'
and still all seemed to go Ok (where should I look for error messages
after a make?)
Now the problem starts when I try to execute cdrecord, I even changed to
the program directory /opt/schily/cdrecord/ and there are two files listed
cdrecord and mkisofs, both with full permissions, and owned by root.  Even
as root I try to execute them and get file not found.  Why?
I am going to try using smake (make utility written and recommended by
cdrecorder author Joerg Schily) to see if this helps.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt Wehland