copying filesystems

Matthew Walker said:
> something like
>
> cd /; tar -cpf - . | (cd /mnt/harddrive; tar -xpf -)
>
> how do I keep it from being an endless loop at /mnt/harddrive  ??

Do it a filesystem at a time.  If you have one big root filesystem,
that's easy...  Just add "l" to the first tar (so "tar -clf - .").

Another thing that works nicely is rsync.  In your example, you could
do something like "rsync -avx /. /mnt/harddrive/.".  (If you don't
have it installed, rsync has come with the last couple of versions of
Red Hat, or you can get it from http://rsync.samba.org/.)

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month