Heres a good Laptop Question...

OK I have a laptop running Mandrake 5.3 & it runs perfectly (except no
sound or APM)..

When I try to install/upgrade to Mandrake 6/Redhat 6, it proceeds through
the install & reports no errors, but as soon as it is rebooted it stops
right after it probes the HD, just before the CD-Rom probe.

I tried to recompile my 2.0 kernel (for APM support) & I tried to compile
the 2.2 kernel but I got the same result.

I read somewhere that the 2.2 kernel uses a "universal driver" for the
CD-Rom, & I suspect that this is the culprit.

My question is..
Is there anyway to find out what driver my current kernel is using for
the CD-Rom so I can upgrade my kernel..

P.S. I also tried to append this at boot
hdc=cdrom   Still nothing

--
David A. Glass
dglass@cc-solution.com